Tuesday, January 29, 2013

January Snippets


I initially hesitated a bit over doing Snippets of Story this month, since I've had my doubts about the story I just finished up. I don't know, that may just be end-of-first-draft blues—I don't think I've ever completed a sizeable project without having at least a few minutes of feeling that it's the worst thing I've ever written. But Snippets is just for fun, after all, so I decided to go ahead and share a few bits that I did like, whatever the ultimate fate of the story ends up being. Just a few this time:

Miss Asher was a tall, substantial woman, with gray hair dressed in innumerable little tight curls, a fountain of rather indeterminately-colored lace spilling over the bosom of her lavender silk dress and a masterpiece of a large feathered hat to top it all, and the effect when she turned a corner at top speed was a swish that made anyone in her path fall back feeling as if an ocean wave had gone over them.
~ The Parting Glass: A Mrs. Meade Mystery
 
"Yes," said Mrs. Meade, "one should always be aware of the time, for one never knows when one may be called upon to produce an alibi."

Sheriff Royal coughed suddenly, but Clyde looked piteously rebuked.
~ The Parting Glass: A Mrs. Meade Mystery

 
A vague, troubled look came up in his eyes like a fog, as if he were back in that moment, seeing Dorene as she opened the door.
~ The Parting Glass: A Mrs. Meade Mystery
 
Mr. Hollister had arranged himself smilingly beside his merchandise with his hand resting on the bureau, looking like he was posing for a photograph which would be handed down to posterity.
~ The Parting Glass: A Mrs. Meade Mystery

5 comments:

Abigail Hartman said...

While I know what you mean about end-of-story blues, I think these snippets are terrific. I'm especially fond of that second one - and immediately wondered exactly what time it was. My cat can testify that at 9 o'clock this morning I was here with my laptop!

Elisabeth Grace Foley said...

Thanks so much! I know—I've always thought I'd make a terrible witness; I can never remember what time I did something. :)

J.T. Webster said...

I think all writers suffer from end of story blues. I know I certainly do! The snippets were great, and I particularly like the second one too.

Joy said...

Wow, these are just really amazing snippets, Elizabeth. Really, and I have to say I love the first two very much in particular, the first for the splendid elegance of your description (description of humans can often be boring to read, but I did not find it like this with this one-it is really intruging and interesting and I can see the lady in my mind!), and the second with the wit of it was spot-on-splendid. Love it! :).

I am new around here (I'm visiting from the Snippets link-up), but you and your blog sound simply lovely and very God-honouring too which is wonderful (I love the title of your blog and that quote as well).

Blessings in Christ,
Joy @ joy-live4jesus.blogspot.com

Elisabeth Grace Foley said...

Joy - oh, thank you so much! Your lovely comments just made my day. :) Thanks for visiting my blog, too—I hope you continue to enjoy it!