Wednesday, November 20, 2013

Nothing Doing

I spent the greater part of this morning engaged in a protracted battle with a cold lawn tractor battery which stubbornly refused to assist the engine in starting, so this, naturally, was not one of the days upon which I accomplished anything writing-wise. In the afternoon, I curled up in a chair in a sunny living-room next to the warmth of the woodstove, and wondered what in the world to write about for a blog post.

You see, simply working away steadily at one short story for a couple weeks doesn't always produce topics for interesting posts. It doesn't necessarily give rise to profound speculations on the craft of writing and the nature of literature. Or anything else. Matter of fact, when a story is absorbing a good deal of my attention, it more often tends to empty the creative part of my mind of anything else worth mentioning.

So, apart from working on "Skirmish At McKendrick's," I've been ambling along much in the usual way. Reading The Red Badge of Courage and Random Harvest. Raking leaves. Taking Bär out for exercise in the cold. Watching football on the weekends (the Denver-Kansas City game the other night was one of the best games I've seen this season, I think). Watching fun clips of old movies online and occasionally fuming over the unavailability of the movies in their entirety. Getting things lined up for the official release of Some Christmas Camouflage next week (if you'll glance at the right-hand column of this blog, by the way, you'll notice that it is unofficially but undoubtedly on sale now).

And trying to think of what to write about for a blog post.

4 comments:

Hannah Scheele said...

I don't much about football, but I know Peyton Manning plays for Denver, so I'm not totally behind. :)And his brother Eli plays for New York.
Old movies are great, some of them. ;)

Hamlette said...

I read Random Harvest not long ago too! Very lovely book. Have you seen the Ronald Colman/Greer Garson movie version?

Elisabeth Grace Foley said...

Hannah - yes, you got it right! :) My family's been rooting for both those teams (along with my Dolphins and my sister's pick, the Seahawks).

Hamlette - yes, I did see the movie...last year, I think it was. It's interesting how it manages to be practically the same story as the novel with such a different structure. I wonder what it would be like as a reader to go into the novel not knowing the storyline from the movie beforehand!

Hamlette said...

I saw the movie probably six or seven years before I read the book, and really only remembered the ending, but I DID know what would happen, so yeah -- I bet it would have been different not knowing!