Thursday, December 19, 2013

Historical Article: Christmas During the Great Depression

My latest historical article is now up over at The Vintage Reader! This time around, I'm taking a look at what Christmas was like during the Great Depression, and how people managed to make the holidays merry in spite of hard times. Click here to read it.

~ * ~

A bit of behind-the-scenes trivia: I was in the final proofreading stages of Some Christmas Camouflage when I started doing research for this article. The story itself was complete, but after reading about a number of real-life Depression experiences, I actually went back and re-worded a few sentences in a way I felt emphasized a little more strongly the hardship and anxiety that people had to face. The idea was there, but I wanted to choose the words that would say it the best.

1 comment:

Hannah Scheele said...

I love reading the memories people have from that period. I used to read Reminisce magazines all the time as a kid, so I started soaking in all that vintage stuff early on!